PDA

View Full Version : Keeping an eye out during cruise nights.

paulg
05-23-2015, 09:16 PM
Hi folks, I think we need to be more vigilant of the ponies during cruise night.
It's apparent that spectators with kids do not have the where with all to tell their kids "look, but
do not touch"

Tonight I spent 2 hours cutting and buffing my drivers side door (which was perfect to begin with) because a child decided to draw circles in it with her finger nails.

Luckily my skills & technique with a DA, pads and
Proper products yielded a door that now looks better than the rest of the car. :-)
And all scratches are gone.

This is the second week in a row where unruley kids are getting to close to the ponies and the parents don't care otherwise.

Ok, I'm off my rant.

marinedad
05-24-2015, 09:22 AM
You aren't ranting. You are absolutely correct. Looks like we're going to have to put Look but Don't touch signs on the cars. It's apparent that the parents weren't brought up so how can you expect them to bring up their kids.

SVT10th
05-25-2015, 02:05 PM
Yep. Between the kids who don't know any better (blame the parents, not the kids) and people who bring their dogs and let them jump around near the cars, it can get a little scary.
Of course then there was the time kids were playing frisbee around the cars.....

ToplessPony94
05-25-2015, 04:46 PM
Yes, I have to admit this is one of the reasons I don't come to cruise night as often as I used to. If I can't comfortably take the time out for some food at one of the eateries, or to look at some of the other cars and chat with people, it's less attractive to go to cruise night. It does seem to me that the behavior of those looking at the cars, especially but not limited to the younger ones, has gotten significantly worse over the last couple of years. Maybe it's the site, maybe it's just people getting less respectful of others. I wish I knew the answer.

SVT10th
05-26-2015, 10:43 AM
Found this online. (and edited slightly)
Perhaps we could post a few around

marinedad
05-26-2015, 10:54 AM
I like it.

ToplessPony94
05-26-2015, 11:53 AM
I like it, too. The only change I would make is to keep pets 6 feet from the cars.

Of course, this won't stop the ones who can't read or just don't care... :rolleyes:

paulg
05-26-2015, 12:22 PM
I like it too. Plus, as far as I'm concerned, I look after everyone's car as if they were my own.

ToplessPony94
05-26-2015, 12:45 PM
I like it too. Plus, as far as I'm concerned, I look after everyone's car as if they were my own.

Thank you!!! I feel that way as well, as do many of the rest of us. I know we all appreciate when some helps protect our cars.

BTW, the reason for my comment below was the woman at the first cruise night this year with the leashed dog that was within a foot of the cars most of the time. The leash would have been worthless as protection if the dog decided to jump onto a car.

LILBLKSNAKE
05-26-2015, 08:14 PM
This is something that should be addressed at the pizza meeting and reminded occasionally in the newsletter. It is a very fine line considering that we strive to promote a family friendly environment to all club members.
Most "car families" have a pretty good handle on car show etiquette, but if someone is clearly inconsiderate, by all means someone should tell them to control their child or animal before they ruin someone else's good time. If someone is uncomfortable letting their car out of their sight long enough to enjoy a sandwich, they probably won't frequent the cruise night cause they'll have to go elsewhere to eat before or after

07 stang gt
05-27-2015, 07:28 AM
^^^bingo !!

TorchredSVT
05-27-2015, 09:13 AM
So here's my two cents.......

I roll up to a cruise night and see a sign like that, I would be unlikely to attend again. It just screams RULES, RULES RULES...not the type of environment I want to be around. Do you think any parent is going to stop and read that sign to their child? Nope. You think any kid is going to read that and take it seriously? Nope.

While I do agree with the OP, it is incredible frustrating when something like this happens......it's part of the game. Just hanging out keeping an eye on your car and speaking up will solve the problem. Speaking up, correctly talking to a child or a dog owner isn't difficult.

Again, this is just my opinion. Having attended some very large cruise nights in the past few years I can tell you it's a losing battle to try and control crowds.

ToplessPony94
05-27-2015, 10:46 AM
Just hanging out keeping an eye on your car and speaking up will solve the problem. Speaking up, correctly talking to a child or a dog owner isn't difficult.

Actually, it is fairly difficult to do from inside the Tap House or USA Subs, or while trying to look at someone else's car. Fairly easy if you just want to stand beside your own car, but one can do that at home.

SVT10th
05-27-2015, 02:36 PM
Even though I posted the rules, I agree with Ian. That poster is really an effort in "preaching to the converted." Feel free to print it and put it in your car window, if you'd like. It probably won't hurt, and maybe one person will read and think about it. But the club can't post it as a set of rules because if they want the cruise night to be successful, they have to make it friendly and accessible. But by being friendly and accessible, there's a chance that something unfortunately may happen to a car. (heck, a person's car once got shot, and not even by an attendee!) If you show off your car in public, you accept the potential price of having people admire it.

TorchredSVT
05-27-2015, 04:32 PM
Actually, it is fairly difficult to do from inside the Tap House or USA Subs, or while trying to look at someone else's car. Fairly easy if you just want to stand beside your own car, but one can do that at home.

While that is true - you have to feel out the venue a bit. I know which cruise nights I need to pay more attention to and which ones I can be a little more relaxed at. Realistically, its a risk you take at ANY car event. The alternative is staying at home and staring at your car in the garage and not out enjoying it.

390gtconv
05-27-2015, 06:22 PM
Ian, from what I've heard, keeping car in your own garage has been a bit dangerous.

My opinion, the "one of" car shows tend to have more risks to it. Local folks not sensitive to the hobby. But note, none are 100% safe. Although my 18 plus years going to Carlisle Ford Nationals, crowd is very good. Most all car people. Why I like it. Can't wait we go next weekend.

whtmare
05-27-2015, 06:27 PM
A buddie of mine even had his seat shot at a car show. ��������

TorchredSVT
05-28-2015, 08:35 AM
hahahahahahah

and yes George, self inflicted trophy injury. Hopefully getting fixed up next week

Jibber
05-28-2015, 10:25 AM
Most unfortunate that this happened. The only other incident that I can remember is when Jeff Newey said that someone tried stealing his skull shifter knob from his car......while he was eating.

LILBLKSNAKE
05-28-2015, 02:25 PM
Plenty of room at New England Dragway :)

TorchredSVT
05-29-2015, 09:33 AM
what's new england drag way have to do with a cruise night?

Gabe
05-31-2015, 08:43 PM
As one that's stood and watched somebody damage their car when I could've said something and prevented the damage, I've since sworn that if I'm in the same situation again, I'll just say something and avoid the hassle of calling insurance companies, getting into an argument with the other guy, having to have a cop come over cuz I was called a liar, ..... and on and on and on .... yes, I watched somebody open their door, stand in-between their door and their car, only to lose their balance and lean into their door which then hit my previous car and dented the door.
It got fixed, but that's not the point.
If I said something, it most likely would've been avoided.

So you see something you find off-kilter, say something and see if the problem goes away, whether the problem is a small child or a guy with 2 huge huskies that he shouldn't have there to begin with

Paul, sorry to hear about the damage, glad to hear you got it fixed up - maybe next time we talk we can exchange some detailing ideas.

paulg
05-31-2015, 09:05 PM
Gabe,

RE: maybe next time we talk we can exchange some detailing ideas.
Would love too!