PDA

View Full Version : Oh, of course....

SVT10th
05-05-2015, 08:19 AM
So, two weeks ago or so we had Dyno Day. It was also the 2015 shake-down cruise for the Fox.

All went well. Then we had a long stretch of crappy cold weather so the Fox sat at home. On the first nice day after that it was time to take it for a cruise. I went to get the keys and couldn't find them anywhere. (I only have one set.) After a couple of days looking everywhere I could think of, I resigned myself to the idea that I had probably dropped them in the yard, which was then cleaned up by the landscaper.

So I ordered a new ignition cylinder and remarked to my wife, "You know, as soon as this arrives, I'm going to find the keys." The part arrived yesterday. I get my toolbox, the new cylinder and venture out to the car. As I walk around the back of the car, lo and behold -- there are the keys on the ground behind the car -- exactly where I'd looked at least 3 times.

But it just proves the point, that as soon as you spend money to replace a lost item, you'll find it.
Apparently this was simply a $20 finders fee....

Jibber
05-05-2015, 08:41 AM
Haha. Murphys law. Definitely sucks.

However, I can't help but think of this as another rich guys pain in the neck story.... obviously, 20 bucks is nothing, when you can afford a landscaper. Lol
shhhhh......Don't tell my blisters that there are people who can do this type of work. They might go on strike.

SVT10th
05-05-2015, 08:55 AM
Haha. Murphys law. Definitely sucks.

However, I can't help but think of this as another rich guys pain in the neck story.... obviously, 20 bucks is nothing, when you can afford a landscaper. Lol
shhhhh......Don't tell my blisters that there are people who can do this type of work. They might go on strike.

I'm far from rich. It's just that raking is a task that I absolutely DETEST. If I can pay someone a couple hundred bucks once a year to clean up my whole yard -- and do it better than I could -- it's a no brainer. 'Specially since I'd have to give up an entire weekend to do it and he comes over with a few people and knocks it out in a couple of hours.

But definitely 1st world problem. Murphy's Law -- yeah.

ToplessPony94
05-05-2015, 10:29 AM
Glad you found them, Jim! Next stop, locksmith or hardware store to copy the key??? ;)

390gtconv
05-05-2015, 11:32 AM
Don't you need a key to remove cylinder lock anyway? Gotta insert key, press a pin on side of cylinder, turn key again, out come cylinder. Not all is wasted, you now have two keys with new lock. You where going to need to spend coupe $$ for new key anyway.

BTW, raking good exercise. lol missing out!

SVT10th
05-05-2015, 12:37 PM
Don't you need a key to remove cylinder lock anyway? Gotta insert key, press a pin on side of cylinder, turn key again, out come cylinder. Not all is wasted, you now have two keys with new lock. You where going to need to spend coupe $$ for new key anyway.

BTW, raking good exercise. lol missing out!

That's the approved method. But you have to turn the cylinder to "ON" before being able to press the pin. To take it out when you don't have a key, you use a 1/4" bit, mark it about 1-1/2" from the tip and drill into the center of the keyhole. You only want to drill in just far enough to break the tumblers (hence 1-1/2" mark on bit). Use a small pick or something to pull out the tumbler carcasses. Then you can turn the cylinder to "ON" and press the pin under the column. Remove cylinder, plug in new one.
Or, you can just go Old Skool Kool -- and not use a key at all -- with no tumblers, the ignition should turn just fine by hand, no key needed.

I figured I'm make a copy of the existing keys (since they're "Ford" keys not no-name ones) and keep the spare ignition cylinder for me or anyone else that needs one. I think it's the same for all Ford vehicles from the mid-70s to mid-90s.

390gtconv
05-05-2015, 01:15 PM
Or... go really old school, use dent puller....

chachee52
05-05-2015, 01:40 PM
I'm glad you found where I put them the other day!! I was starting to think that the dog ate them :D

Greatest April Fools joke hehehe

TorchredSVT
05-07-2015, 11:51 AM
hahahahah that's funny...doesn't it just figure

SVT10th
05-07-2015, 04:03 PM
To make this story even better -- I mentioned this to Matt W, who previously owned of the car. He pipes up, "Oh, you know -- I found another set of keys for it a while ago. I keep forgetting to give them to you..."

Arrgh. Good thing he's generous with his whiskey....

LILBLKSNAKE
05-08-2015, 06:25 AM
To make this story even better -- I mentioned this to Matt W, who previously owned of the car. He pipes up, "Oh, you know -- I found another set of keys for it a while ago. I keep forgetting to give them to you..."

Arrgh. Good thing he's generous with his whiskey....

That's hilarious