PDA

View Full Version : fuel tank question

fredfordguy
03-12-2015, 08:26 PM
One for the oldsters who have the drop in fuel tank. I am replacing my old one for a dent not rust. What if anything did ford or any of you use as a sealer when the tank is dropped into the floor hole? I was thinking about using a small strip caulk, about the size of spaghetti around the floor hole. I would appreciate any input from the nation. Thanks in advance.....

390gtconv
03-13-2015, 01:02 AM
Does your new 20 gal tank now have a drain plug on bottom? Maybe was standard by '69.
What us "older classic car folks" do when installing a tank. YES, use the 3M strip caulking stuff. That's what folks do use. Because it's only about 1/4" wide, I'd lay down 2 rows of it. Don't stretch it, just lay it down. I'd also cover all around where screws go through. Then of coarse use new rubber fuel hose, for you think 3/8".

Dennis O'Shea
03-13-2015, 04:40 PM
Does your new 20 gal tank now have a drain plug on bottom? Maybe was standard by '69.
What us "older classic car folks" do when installing a tank. YES, use the 3M strip caulking stuff. That's what folks do use. Because it's only about 1/4" wide, I'd lay down 2 rows of it. Don't stretch it, just lay it down. I'd also cover all around where screws go through. Then of coarse use new rubber fuel hose, for you think 3/8".
:DYou Old Guys know so much Stuff:D

fredfordguy
03-13-2015, 09:15 PM
Thanks George, I appreciate it.....

fredfordguy
03-13-2015, 09:16 PM
:DYou Old Guys know so much Stuff:D
What's scary is that we can remember that much, strength and memories in numbers eh???