PDA

View Full Version : Supercharger thoughts

07 stang gt
08-22-2014, 05:59 AM
I have thoughts of supercharging my stang next year. Questions to the experts out there I guess could go on forever so I will keep them to the basics. Whipple, Kenny Bell, who should I have install it, do I need to get into changing any pistons/rods/crank/etc., gauges needed, upgrade pulley????? I have only 8000 on the motor in my 2007 Mustang GT and it does have with all the bolt ons (BBK headers, Steeda axlebacks,Steeda underdrive pulleys,Steeda short throw shifter,4:10 Ford Racing gears,MSD ignition coils etc. etc. etc) I do have contacts out there through all the Ford dealers I deal with including Tasca Ford, Mand M Ford,Monaco Ford and others that do specialize in installs and I also know that Rick/Pete do installs as well.Will not be track racing at all with it, street only!!Just want to get your thoughts and opinions as to what you guys that have superchargers on their cars have gone through as well as the goods and bads about doing it.Needs to be safe on my present motor (Whipple ?), I am thinking polished so it looks like the rest of my underhood goodies, I want a complte kit so there are no suprises. Let me know what you think. OR should I save the $ and leave it alone ????!!!!

whtmare
08-22-2014, 07:27 AM
I deffintly love my kenne bell you can't go wrong with whipple or kenne bell both complete kits. I really like a twin screw s/c car drives normal with no boost unless you get the foot into it then look out. Pete can also tune you safe so you will be ok on the stock internals since you don't race you will be good until you want to crank up boost. But by that time you'd be upgrading the tranny etc. One step at a time lol. I'm also into the "look" of my car just like you,in the end IMO the look of the polished kb was was what I chose

SVT10th
08-22-2014, 08:12 AM
Rick has put a couple of really nice S/Cs on various cars, including his own. He does good work -- check out his car and Joe Gould's GT/CS if you haven't yet.

You can get a good bump in HP on the stock internals -- IIRC Ryan's levels about 500hp is about the most you can go before you might start breaking stuff.

You have 4.10s? Lol, that'll get exciting really fast with a blower!

whtmare
08-22-2014, 10:09 AM
I also run 410, jimmy I see drag radials in your future. We can go for a ride when I bring my car by for a correction.

SVT10th
08-22-2014, 01:26 PM
I also run 410, jimmy I see drag radials in your future. We can go for a ride when I bring my car by for a correction.

You're car is ridiculously quick. The 4.10s explain it. I remember a few of us were were coming back from the Fall show at Sunapee last year. We all hammered the loud pedal coming off 89 onto 93 S. Being first in line, I got out in front by a big margin, looked in the rearview and you and everyone else were back a 1/4 mile -- I looked at the road for a sec and when I glanced back in the mirror your running horse had it's nose up my cobra's butt! You came out of nowhere. Yeah, you've got 100hp on me, but DAMN.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa52/langod/forum%20pic%20links/got_torque.gif

MY-S281
08-22-2014, 01:36 PM
Twin Screw all the way ! I am partial to KB , Rick AKA the PREZ, Installed my Kenne Bell Supercharger on the Saleen , Pete has always been the only person to tune it and I am glad to say 5 yrs. and 45K Miles later the car still runs fantastic, making just under 400 to the wheels @ 10 psi on an all stock 4.6 SOHC with 150K ..
Honestly the Supercharger has been the best decision I made as far as modding the car increased the pleasure of driving it immensely. , I hear and have seen great things with the Whipple as well. You may want to consider 3:55's gears though, not sure 4:10's will be best suited for the street , either way I think if you do it you wont regret it ! Good Luck.

07 stang gt
08-24-2014, 06:44 AM
I deffintly love my kenne bell you can't go wrong with whipple or kenne bell both complete kits. I really like a twin screw s/c car drives normal with no boost unless you get the foot into it then look out. Pete can also tune you safe so you will be ok on the stock internals since you don't race you will be good until you want to crank up boost. But by that time you'd be upgrading the tranny etc. One step at a time lol. I'm also into the "look" of my car just like you,in the end IMO the look of the polished kb was was what I chose Who did your install and did you add anything else, gauges,better pulleys, tranny work ???

07 stang gt
08-24-2014, 06:45 AM
I also run 410, jimmy I see drag radials in your future. We can go for a ride when I bring my car by for a correction.Anytime !!!

07 stang gt
08-24-2014, 06:49 AM
You're car is ridiculously quick. The 4.10s explain it. I remember a few of us were were coming back from the Fall show at Sunapee last year. We all hammered the loud pedal coming off 89 onto 93 S. Being first in line, I got out in front by a big margin, looked in the rearview and you and everyone else were back a 1/4 mile -- I looked at the road for a sec and when I glanced back in the mirror your running horse had it's nose up my cobra's butt! You came out of nowhere. Yeah, you've got 100hp on me, but DAMN !!!!

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa52/langod/forum%20pic%20links/got_torque.gifIt does go pretty good with all the boltons but I think its time to live up to what my liscence plate says !!!!

07 stang gt
08-24-2014, 06:52 AM
Twin Screw all the way ! I am partial to KB , Rick AKA the PREZ, Installed my Kenne Bell Supercharger on the Saleen , Pete has always been the only person to tune it and I am glad to say 5 yrs. and 45K Miles later the car still runs fantastic, making just under 400 to the wheels @ 10 psi on an all stock 4.6 SOHC with 150K ..
Honestly the Supercharger has been the best decision I made as far as modding the car increased the pleasure of driving it immensely. , I hear and have seen great things with the Whipple as well. You may want to consider 3:55's gears though, not sure 4:10's will be best suited for the street , either way I think if you do it you wont regret it ! Good Luck.Do I have Pete or Rick install it, has to go to Pete anyway for the tune ?? Do not want to step on anyones toes !!! Buy it online and have them install it, go to Tasca and have them do it ????????????

SVT10th
08-25-2014, 08:11 AM
Do I have Pete or Rick install it, has to go to Pete anyway for the tune ?? Do not want to step on anyones toes !!! Buy it online and have them install it, go to Tasca and have them do it ????????????

Your best bet is to call Rick and see what he's up to and what his schedule looks like. I know he's been very busy recently with work, Jessie going to Japan, etc.
I think in general, you buy it and he installs it, then he brings it up to Pete for the tune.

TorchredSVT
08-25-2014, 08:51 AM
easy...whipple all the way

can buy it from ford, can be warrantied......Rick can install it and it's tried and true and Pete knows how to tune then.

Kenne Bell are great, however, from what I have seen online over the past few years their customer service has really taken a dive.

MY-S281
08-25-2014, 09:22 AM
Do I have Pete or Rick install it, has to go to Pete anyway for the tune ?? Do not want to step on anyones toes !!! Buy it online and have them install it, go to Tasca and have them do it ????????????

Yes, I would speak with Rick , Rick would do install and Pete can tune it and go from there, Rick and or Pete may even be able to get you some decent pricing based on some of their supplier connections,!

07 stang gt
08-26-2014, 05:19 AM
Thanks for your input. Spoke face to face with Rick at a car show on Sunday and he said whipple is the best way to go, keep the boost around 8/9 so you dont blow up anything and send it to Pete to have it tuned. Rick said he has installed many of them,so I feel safe on the install by him 100%.Polished whipple, a couple of gauges and good to go.