PDA

View Full Version : Unleaded gas - classic pre-unleaded engines

SVT10th
07-25-2014, 08:15 AM
So -- you guys with classic Mustangs from the pre-unleaded era...

Do you have to do anything special to run unleaded gas without damaging the valves, etc in your engines? It used to be that people would add lead additives to their gas, but I'm not even sure you can get that any more.

Or is it kind of a non-issue now....

Reason I ask... well, if I was was to say... Sell the Cobra and buy a 69 Mach... is it something I need to know about?

ToplessPony94
07-25-2014, 09:56 AM
FWIW, I saw the lead additive at Advance Auto Parts last time I was at cruise night.

LILBLKSNAKE
07-25-2014, 12:37 PM
Just stop by NED for leaded race fuel

SVT10th
07-25-2014, 12:42 PM
FWIW, I saw the lead additive at Advance Auto Parts last time I was at cruise night.
Really? I'm amazed that the tree-huggers haven't gotten it outlawed by now. (It IS pretty nasty stuff)

Just stop by NED for leaded race fuel
yeah. I'm gonna drive 30 miles to get a tank of gas. http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/forum/images/smilies/facepalm.gif

How about Todd and George, you guys must have some insight, since you actually drive cars with engines designed for lead.

ToplessPony94
07-25-2014, 01:30 PM
Really? I'm amazed that the tree-huggers haven't gotten it outlawed by now. (It IS pretty nasty stuff)

You can still get things with 2-cycle engines, too! :confused:

chachee52
07-25-2014, 08:39 PM
I was told that you have to replace something on the pistons (or something like that) to run the unleaded. I just run unleaded now, no additives. I was told mine was replaced but knowing my luck it's still original and I've totally screwed up the engine and it shouldn't be running now. (just like everything else on my car)

390gtconv
07-26-2014, 07:19 AM
The issue with "classic cars" and unleaded fuel is the valves. In the old days "regular" gas had the lead in it to help lubricate the valves. So when folks have their old engines rebuilt, shops install "harden" valve seats to handle todays unleaded fuel.
Now it's been said in articles and on classic car forums such as: http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/ that as long as you are doing gentle cruzing and not hard driving or towing, classic cars (think early '70 and older) you'd be ok.
But if you wanna just upgrade, pull heads, have valve job done, all set.

fredfordguy
10-11-2014, 08:16 PM
I had hardened seats put in when the engine was built some 30 years ago, no probs.....